This week, Tony decided that we were going to visit Illg's Meats (www.illgsmeats.com) - a German meat wholesaler about 20 minutes away from our home. It was perfect weather, and Tony put a cooler in the Jeep with some ice so that we could purchase things and keep them cold until we got home later in the day. The place was as farmy as you get in the extensive Philly suburbs, and you get to drive down a country lane to get to their store. Inside this little building is just a huge meat counter and some various imported (mostly German) specialty foods. The meats we got were as follows: some amazing canadian bacon (which I don't usually like), all-beef weiners for the 4th of July (ostensibly our reason for going to Illg's in the first place), black forest ham sliced for sandwiches, and some sweet Italian sausage. I was perusing the specialty foods (not as much of a meat-eater) and found a Kinder bueno chocolate bar and a Milka Noissettes bar - both of which were very yummy (even Tony said so) and reminiscent of my time in Romania when we would search out the best imported chocolates on a regular basis. All of this stuff was less than $25 which I thought was a pretty good deal!

Tony then thought it would be fun to go to a fish market he had heard about that wasn't all that far from Illg's, so we went to Heller's Seafood. This ended up just being a store in a strip mall and it wasn't that large and it definitely wasn't cheap. I do think the fish were fresh though - I just didn't think we could afford them! Tony got some nice looking medium-sized shrimp (the cheapest shrimp they had) and I got one piece of Canadian farm-bred salmon (the cheapest salmon they had) and these two things came to much more than everything we got at Illg's! I was eyeing a gorgeous tuna steak, but it was over $20/lb. No thanks! I grilled the salmon for dinner with a honey-mustard and parsley marinade and it was downright yumminess. I didnt try the shrimp which Tony offered to share - I just can't get past the fact that you have to tear the poor creatures legs off before you eat it!
We ran a few other errands before running home, and Tony then did some much-needed weeding in our garden (thanks to the torrential rains of last week) while I ran out to do some MORE errands. I know my dear, wonderful husband will have something else exciting planned for us one of these Saturdays... and it's always fun to go along for the ride!
Syd, this was such a cute entry. I love how you always speak of Tony. Too bad he is never around to hear what you tell us. IKEA was fun the other day and the chicken fingers were yummy! Let's do it again. Are we on for Friday? TTYL
ReplyDeleteCandy, you and Tony are having so much FUN! Reading your blog allows me to feel like I was able to tag along. Thanks for sharing your adventures in PA :-)
ReplyDeleteI love it, Candy. Thanks for sending this link. I love to keep in touch. I'm so glad you sound so happy. Love, Shawni
ReplyDelete