I have been able to do more with music since I moved to Philadelphia than I had done in over 5 years in Utah. Last Fall I started rehearsals with the Philadelphia Stake to prepare for the Messiah Singalong in December. Then, as I previously mentioned, I was interested in joining a community symphony here in Abington. I was able to participate in two concerts this Spring before summer hiatus. I have been playing 2nd Violin. It is a wonderful group and I thoroughly enjoy the beautiful classical music. There is nothing like participating in such a large group making music together - sometimes very LOUD music which is my favorite! I posted a video from our last concert (Grace Ju performing Bruch Violin Concerto #1). Here I am with my stand partner at one of our concerts.
I also have been playing with a group of women that I met during Messiah rehearsals. We have a string quartet, though we haven't ever performed anywhere. We have fun rehearsing and upon occasion - shopping :) The other violinist in our quartet is also in the symphony with me which makes it double the fun!
I was the Relief Society pianist for 8 months until I was just called into Primary. At Christmastime I was invited to play some background piano music for a holiday party at a nearby care facility. I enjoyed it very much and now volunteer there once a month. I play the violin in 3-5 rooms for bedridden folks, and then perform about 20 minutes on the violin and then 30 or so on the piano for the main group in the recreation room. It is really fun! I try to play songs that they will find familiar and can hum or sing along with. I'm grateful that I am able to enrich my life and the lives of others with my basic musical talents, and have to thank my parents for all the music lessons and support while I was growing up! Thanks guys :) And thanks to Tony for having our cute little piano tuned and putting up with my sometimes monotonous practicing... He knows it's all for a good cause.
How fun is that! You are so amazing to be getting so invovled. It makes me feel like such a hermit! The concert you posted sounded so wonderful. It really is fun to be a part of making music like that. Sometimes I miss that feeling (but not enough to actually pick up my trumpet again!)
ReplyDelete