Martha, however, appeared to be under attack by the squawking parental bluejays trying to protect their baby! I wasn't sure if I was more appalled that Martha would eat a hurt little baby (mice are another matter) or if I was worried she would be hurt by the birds. Tony had already fallen asleep, but I ran into the bedroom hollering for him to come fast. I hauled him out of bed, grabbed his pants with my other hand and just kept telling him to hurry. He was almost like one of those caricatures where the man is in such a hurry he kind of skids around the corner on one heel. I tried to explain what kind of stand-off existed in our driveway, and he immediately realized what was going on.
The tiny bird had hop/fluttered over next to our neighbors' house (we share a driveway) as you see in the photo. Martha was slowly stalking closer and closer to it. The parents were STILL squawking, but after Tony came out they seemed to calm down a little. He convinced Martha to sit with him on the stoop and stroked her fur for a while, but she was still obviously eyeing the birdie. Once Tony got up, she was immediately going for the baby again. So, Tony got a broom to keep Martha at bay. Here is his "enforcer" shot.
Now, my husband is an intelligent one - even when I wake him up out of a nice slumber - so he took the time to hand me the broom and then took the garbage out in his nice, new township-delivered containers. Martha hid under the car and continued to watch the baby bird's every move. Finally, the baby had rested/recovered enough to hop-hop-hop all the way across the neighbors' yards and into a hedge. Tony deemed it Martha-proof enough for us to go back in. What a drama!
Whether Martha eventually got the birdie, we'll never know. I do know that I haven't seen any bird remains on our sidewalk, which is where her mice carcasses usually end up - so I'm hopeful for that little tiny thing! Martha is a tough cat - she'll find something else to eat soon enough.
Can I borrow your cat for a little while... I always have a mouse somewhere around the house. Our little dog, ZOIE, had also cornered baby birds quite often. I would see the mother and father bird circling high above and then suddenly come down as a torpedo to keep the dog back. It was really interesting to watch.
ReplyDeleteThat makes for one exciting evening! The picture of Tony is classic--great job on keeping the cat at bay :) I'm proud that you would sacrifice so much for a cute little bird.
ReplyDeleteAllison - if you can get Martha to come in your car, you're welcome to borrow her! :) And I never see the mice until they are dead and laid as a lovely offering outside our back door. The removal of these is Tony's job... And yes, one of the only ones I will NAG him about! Yucky!
ReplyDelete