Thursday, July 5, 2007

Love of Languages

Did I ever mention that I got a minor in Linguistics?? I love that stuff! If only I could have justified burying my head in a book for the rest of my career and ignoring people - linguistics would have been my primary reason for leaving society and isolating myself in the ivory tower. I once presented a paper on Romanian Onomastics - the study of Romanian naming patterns. How interesting does THAT sound? I loved it. Oddly enough there was a Romanian naming dictionary from the 60's at the BYU Library. It was in Romanian. I don't even want to attempt a guess at how it got there, or why. Anyway, I catalogued the names and figured out where the sources of all the names were. It's my only publication/presentation at a professional conference. I am quite proud of it. But enough about me - my whole impetus for this entry was learning of this online tutorial for learning Latin hosted by the British National Archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/latin/beginners/. Since most of the foreign languages I studied were latin-based, I always wanted to learn Latin, but never had the chance. I was even signed up to take Latin at Woods Cross High School as a Sophomore, but my parents moved us the summer before and it wasn't offered at Timpview High. Alas... Well - if any of you 4 people that read this blog want to learn Latin - that online course looks pretty cool. Let me know if you do it! It is actually mixing two of my favorite things - languages and family history - since it is aimed at helping people read documents to do genealogy.

Also - I have the best husband in the world! (I had to mention that because I told Tony that my next post was going to be all about him... little did I know that the languages would take slight precedence... Love you, honey!) Meus maritus est splendidus! ...also - if any of you know how to put a link into your post rather than just pasting it in - could you clue me in? Thanks!

Finally - I cleaned my sink today (check out http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Shine.asp). It only took me 3 days to get up the courage and find the time. Here it is in all its glory. It's in amazingly good condition for a 50-or so-year old sink... at least it was before I got to it! If you notice the new huge chunk out of the porcelain in the front left corner - that would be a new addition to the sink by way of my soapy fingers dropping our surprisingly sturdy WGU mug! (Which brings up one example of why my husband is amazing. He instantly called out if I was okay and didnt mention a word about the sink other than to remind him to fix it). Wow! I'm a lucky lady :)

1 comment:

  1. What character your sink has! Okay, about the link... paste this code:website title. Fill in the correct website and website title where applicable.

    ReplyDelete