As I sit and watch the closing ceremonies for the Olympics, I write you to explain our attempt at the FUN Chinese Food Olympic Event on The Kitchen Post! I love your blog. You are always so creative and interesting. There is always more to learn about you... kind of like finding out so much about China during the Olympics. Creative and interesting definitely sums up both China and you :)
The day of the opening ceremonies was a busy one for me, and I stopped by ALDI to do a little shopping. I found that I was oh-so-slightly inspired by this blog, so I branched out from the usual ALDI basics and bought the following items.
I prepared these for dinner just prior to watching the opening ceremony. Here you can see the result of my (microwaving) efforts...
Now I know that getting Teriyaki food from a German discount store does not come CLOSE to being Chinese food, but I thought I would let you judge whether it's worth an entry or not. We do actually get Chinese every once in a while since there is a Chinese restaurant or take-out on every street around here it seems (even Bethany commented on the ubiquitousness of the Chinese stores). Most two-week periods will find Tony getting a won-ton soup on his way home at least once!
Bethany and I do want to try to recreate your eggrolls. They look fantastic! If you were curious, the ALDI noodles are probably 3 out of 5 stars and the ALDI shrimp probably 2 out of 5 stars. The noodles were surprising in how good they were, and the shrimp was - well about as good as we could have hoped.
Anyway, dear Jackie, thank you again for the fun idea of the contest. I hope you share all the ideas that people entered!
Sincerely,
Candy
Isn't Aldi's great? :) I'll post the winner in the morning once the official judge wakes up and has his diaper change...
ReplyDeleteIt looks very yummy! If it were up to me I'd give you bonus points for buying asian food at a european store! Very creative!