Monday, May 5, 2008

My Great-Grandfather

Today we found out the answer to the second Pedigree Puzzler... It is my great-grandfather, Alexander Brown. He is pictured here sitting in the light-colored suit with his wife, his four sons and four daughters-in-law. (Note: You can see Grandma Beverly from the last quiz seated at the far right). Here is the quiz!

WHO AM I?
I have Scottish ancestors but I was born in Lehi, Utah.
I went on an LDS mission to the Central States (with headquarters in Independence, MO).
I had a good singing voice. On my mission I would sing with my companions in parks to attract investigators.
I was a traveling Salesman by trade. My territory covered Washington, Alaska and more.
I sold clothes for Utah Woolen Mills.
I was the 1st Stake President of the Seattle, Washington Stake.
I served as a Patriarch in Washington and Utah.

Is it a) John Brown b) Alexander Davis c) Alexander Brown?
C is the correct answer. Most people never called him Alexander. Usually he went by Alex or Alec.

Here is a story that Marisa included in the Pedigree Puzzler email about Great-Grandpa Alec:

Alex and Chelta were living in Lehi, Utah. Lehi at that time was a small town. Grandpa Alex, decided to get new tires for his car so he took the car to the gas station. I believe they only had one car in the family. While he was waiting for the car to be fixed he heard the fire station siren go off. Soon he saw a fire truck zooming by the gas station followed by a police car. Grandpa asked someone rushing by where the fire was. They said, "At Alexander Brown’s house." Grandpa said, “That’s me!” Anxious to get home and find out what was going on, he looked for his car. Inside the garage he saw his car up on the lift with all four tires off. I also remember a story where my father, Roger, and his brother, Barlow, were playing and “accidentally” set a haystack on fire. It’s possible, even probable, that this was the fire in the above story.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sydney! That is so great that you have found out more about your ancestors! Mine are so hard to find. You guys sound like you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does your brother get his name from this Alex?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - my brother Alex is named after him, as is my uncle and a couple of cousins (but all with their middle names).

    ReplyDelete