Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Fruity Kiwi


No - this post is not about some crazy person from New Zealand... It is a post about the two kiwi fruits I have in my fridge sitting there and growing old. They were bought on impulse because they looked great and were cheap at our local asian produce store. It didn't seem that I could miss by getting them! Yet, there they sit a week later. Still as great looking, but baffling me as to what to do with them. I really don't like the taste of kiwi plain and I'm never quite sure about the fuzzy skin! It is fine on some fancy fruit dessert, but I have never really prepared one. The most vivid kiwi experience I remember was this toxic-green kiwi soda that we would sometimes get to drink at the train station in Bucharest on my mission. I think it was called QUEEN soda. An ice-cold one of those was pretty good on a hot day. But back to the fruits at hand... Do you ever just buy a food item because it sounds like a good idea at the time? You convince yourself that you should like said food item, and you even may have some vague intention of what to do with it at the time of puchase - but then it just sits in your kitchen until you give it away or toss it? I wish I could say I have never made this same mistake twice with the same food item, but I can't. Something else I have sitting on my shelf right now is a package of Whole Foods Sun Dried Tomatoes. They look so fancy and healthy, but I have no idea what to do with them. Maybe throw them in a salad? It says you can reconstitute them and use them in sauces, but that kind of sounds yucky... Oh well! It's just a matter of time until the next impulsive purchase - maybe it will be a yam (they look healthy!) or some exotic fruit shaped like a star. Until then, just let me know if you need to borrow a kiwi!

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I am shocked that you don't like kiwis. I love them!! In fact one time Dad bought some kiwis and I took them to school, skins and all and ate them whole. YUMMY!! I sure miss free food. About the sun-dried tomatoes. I think I have a recipe that calls for them and I have never been able to find them at the store. Hmmm if I move to Philly I will have to steal your jar of sun-dried tomatoes. However, I do know what you are talking about in regards to healthy impulse buys. Mine usually are related to weird veggies that manage to rot before I remember that I have them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free food and cleaning ladies! Man we had it good at the parents'! Maybe I'll cut up the kiwi and give it to Tony for his lunch. And the sun-dried tomatoes are dry vacuum packed. I'll have to come up with something to make with them. Thanks for your fun comment!

    ReplyDelete