Thursday, July 23, 2009

Our trip to the pretty, great state of Utah - Part II

After we ate at Ruth's Diner, we went back down into the valley and headed to Temple Square and the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. We saw the movie about Joseph Smith shown there - Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration. None of us had seen it before. It was wonderful. Tony's comment: "Very high production values." We highly recommend seeing it (and definitely bring a hankie!)

Next, we went out into the gardens behind the building and met up with my great friend, Wendi, and her family. We even got to see Joe for a minute before he had to head to work :) Tony saw a bridal couple getting their pictures taken on the reflecting pool, and he had to get a shot of himself "walking on water" in front of the temple. Tony, you look fabulous, babe!

I love this beautiful photo that Tony took of the Angel Moroni high atop the Salt Lake Temple. An Angel Moroni statue tops the majority of LDS temples. Tony remembers our first phone conversation way back when... and we were talking about the Washington DC Temple and how the Angel Moroni appears and seems to be dancing on the trees. He called it the Angel Moro"knee" and I told him it was pronounced Moro"nigh." Moroni was the ancient prophet that appeared to Joseph Smith and told him about the record on the Golden Plates which Joseph later translated into the Book of Mormon.

The Christus statue - a 1966 copy of the original by Bertel Thorvaldsen (1768-1844) that is in Copenhagen. This was in the North Visitors Center on Temple Square.

The interior of the Tabernacle on Temple Square dressed up for the July holidays. It was good to go inside since the last time we were on Temple Square before we were married it was still undergoing the seismic retrofitting. It's an amazing building. I was in the Mormon Youth Symphony for years and we met every week in this building to practice, and oftentimes would have 2-3 concerts in a week. I also performed 3 years here with the All-State Orchestra which was a blast. LDS Conferences were held here for 132 years and it is the home of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (I bet you could have guessed that one!) It has amazing acoustics.

Wendi, her daughter, Natalie, and me before we said goodbye on Temple Square. We had a great time hanging out with you guys! Thanks for making the time to meet us in SLC!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to see the movie, it really is wonderful! I love the picture of the tabernacle. It's amazing how that building brings together the pioneer and modern times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had fun in our neck of the woods!!! Sounds like it was a great trip. It's been hot, though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a fun trip. I wish we could have met up this summer! Some day...

    ReplyDelete