Monday, April 21, 2008

No Names

Do you remember shopping with your mom and you really wanted her to buy the cool brand you saw advertised on tv, and then for some reason she got the stuff in the white box with the black lettering? What was she doing?!? That wasn't the good macaroni and cheese!! I remember those boxes would sit longer than the other ones in the food storage room... because no one really wanted to eat them. Do you remember how no-name products used to look? Something like this:


Well, now those clever marketing fellows have made generic products slightly more appetizing because they look something like this:

Not only are they a LOT more colorful, but they are oftentimes even closer replicas of the name brands (and sometimes exactly the same thing!) Also, they are definitely still cheaper. Consequently, I find myself drinking Diet Dr. Bob and snacking on Wheat'ums (fake Triscuits) as I work today. Diet Dr. Bob actually is not too bad and at less than 80 cents for 2 Liters, you can't go wrong!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I am so glad other people are cheap like I am and buy generic brands! At least now they are looking prettier and maybe I can fool some people that I am not such a cheapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Where do you purchase those? Acme?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo is just one I pulled from online, but we get them at Giant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is birch beer? NoName names are funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birch beer is a fun Pennsylvania Dutch drink, I believe. It is similar to root beer, but clear. It's not too bad!

    ReplyDelete