Monday, June 24, 2013

How to Enjoy Frederick, Maryland

Tony and I have been looking forward to taking a trip this year, but we couldn't really decide upon a place.  Because of a triple-billing mistake during a business trip, Tony was given a free night's stay at a hotel in Frederick, Maryland. We thought that would make it a perfect destination! So we began investigating Frederick and the surrounds. I had never even heard of Frederick, but it is quite a large city with a lot of history. Frederick is in Central/Western Maryland and smack-dab in the middle of Civil War history. After spending a few days there, we both highly recommend a visit and in fact we hope to go back soon!  There is way too much to see in just a few days. People in this area are proud of their heritage, their towns, and their history.

We drove down to Frederick Thursday morning and enjoyed the 3 hour drive with windows open and sunroof open. Consequently - sunburn!! Can you tell we don't get out much? But it was worth it. Our first stop when we got into town was the National Museum of Civil War Medicine (downtown Frederick)...

Tony in front of the museum. It is housed in a building from 1830's which began its life
as a furniture store and funeral parlor. The carpenters did double duty - furniture and coffins.

The exhibits started at Medical education of the 1850s and went through to the
development of hospitals and nursing, including the amazing Clara Barton.

Diorama of men enlisting. They were not given health inspections
which spread a lot of illness through the troops.
So many soldiers died of sickness and infection, not war wounds.

Did you ever think of the smell of war? Trains would not accept soldiers' bodies for
shipment home unless they were embalmed or encapsulated in airtight metal coffins.
After the trip to the museum, we drove off to find our hotel near Francis Scott Key Mall. Do any of you remember why Francis Scott Key is famous? DING DING DING! You win! Yes, he wrote the lyrics to The Star-Spangled Banner! A native Frederick man, we drove past his burial place on the way to our hotel. Last week for flag day, the original manuscript of the song was brought to Key's grave for a ceremony.

Not a great shot from a moving car, but the homes in this area can be very unique.
In Central PA and Central/Western MD the homes can be built almost up to the road!
Once we settled into the hotel and rested a little, we headed out to May's Seafood Restaurant. Tony had eaten there a couple of times on business trips. We had a good time. Very much a local scene - loud and cracking, literally!  So many patrons got huge trays of steamed crabs and they pounded the meat outta those things!  Tony got scallops and I got flounder, both quite yummy. Neither of us are really whole crab eaters.  This place was packed. Crab is seriously a way of life for Marylanders!!!

Handsomest guy there!

If you got the crabs, they put brown paper on your table, and a bucket
or two for the shells and waste. You got hammers, and just go for it!

Hometown favorite. We were lucky to get in without a reservation.
We got some dessert afterwards at Double T Diner - a small Baltimore-based chain. A great first day of vacation!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I went to Ipswich, MA yesterday and hoped to find a local seafood dive there. No such luck. I'll have to head into the wharf at Boston before I leave to see if I can grab something local. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie - we did NOT get crab I'm afraid. No, serious, I'm AFRAID! lol I need someone to teach me, and that will only work if I even have a desire to try it. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete