In our area, many of the roads are named for towns that they lead to, for example Jenkintown Road leads to Jenkintown, PA (one town over from us). As soon as you get to Jenkintown, the name of the street changes to Walnut Street (I guess because you have ARRIVED in Jenkintown, so you don't need that road name anymore!) Two of the arterial roads around here are named Easton Road and Old York Road. I really wondered whether they still go to the city of their name, so one day in June I proposed to my hubby that we try it! He was happy to humor me, so we set out on Easton Road right by our home. We drove along the familiar route that took us past the mall, past the Wegman's, out towards Doylestown... a path we travel a few times a month at least. After about 35 minutes we found ourselves on the beautiful road along the Delaware River (still Easton Road). It was such a beautiful day we had to get out and take pictures. We pulled in and stopped at
Delaware Canal State Park.
 |
| Delaware River - Yes, the river that Washington crossed. |
 |
| Me and the hubs |
 |
| Some of the canal works along the river |
 |
| More of the historical canal works |
We continued along our path - still Easton road - and enjoyed the drive. After another 20 or so minutes we were excited to see some signs that we were coming into the city of Easton (which I knew really nothing about).
 |
| Mural as you enter Easton, depicting canal life and steam train |
 |
| Old railroad bridge entering Easton |
 |
| Driving up to Easton Centre Square! We arrived!! |
Easton Road did end up getting us there! Though it wasn't the most direct route, it likely was a more scenic route as it wasn't along the more modern highways. Centre Square was pretty, but the surrounding areas were a little gritty. Lo and behold, it was also the home of the Crayola Factory and Store! I knew that existed somewhere in the Philly surrounds, but didn't realize it was Easton until we were right there. So we wandered into the Store...
 |
| Pretty self-explanatory! |
 |
| "Tickle me pink" in honor of Gigi |
 |
| "Yellow" in honor of Madeline |
 |
| "Cotton Candy" and "Razzmatazz" in honor of us! |
We wandered around the Centre Square memorials to Easton's war veterans and entered into a used bookshop for a cool drink before heading home.
 |
| Easton Centre Square and Civil War memorial |
 |
| Closer to the Civil War memorial |
 |
| Pretty little church on a side street |
 |
| Cooling off hubby surrounded by old books. Nice! |
There are a few things we didn't get to see while we were in Easton, so we'll have to head back. Among them are the
National Canal Museum which I hear is fascinating, and the canal boat ride. I'm looking forward to our next visit to this quaint little place.
I love that the two of you take off an explore so often. You find so many great treasures!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I think my new goal is to have a really big crayon. Your post has inspired me!
ReplyDeleteyou guys are so... adventurous!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I didn't realize the roads were named after towns they went to! I learned this summer that in a lot of ancient cities the exits or gates of the city were named after the direction they headed, like the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem. Not so sure about the Dung Gate....
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting, Chantel. lol Dung Gate! Yikes.
ReplyDelete