Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hagerstown, MD

So how many of you out there have been to Hagerstown, Maryland?? Anyone? Anyone?  Well... We have! We drove to Hagerstown after visiting Antietam. It's a nice place. Sunday morning, June 23, we woke up and got ready to head to church. We put the address into the GPS and headed off for the Antietam Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We got to the address, and there was nothing there. It was baffling. We were fairly certain that the church didn't meet in an abandoned dentist office. We drove around a little bit and I was ready to give up. However, my darling husband, would not give up! He was determined that I would attend Sacrament meeting that day. So Tony had an idea to just cross the double highway down the road and see what we could find. Lo and behold, a minute down the road and there was the church!!  It was packed and we made it inside in time for the sacrament.What a wonderful experience - first to know that my sweet Tony supported me in getting to church, and second, that he was inspired to help me get to partake of the Sacrament that day. I just notice that my life goes so much better when I get to attend church. People were very friendly and we enjoyed the meeting. Then we drove to St. Anne's and attended Mass. It was a very different church than Tony's parish, and we enjoyed looking at the interesting window art. We were happy we were able to enjoy the morning remembering our Savior.


After Mass, we headed to the Hagerstown City Park. It has a peaceful lake which we could walk around and see the ducks and enjoy the day with the native Hagerstonians. It was quite hot though, so after walking all around the park, we enjoyed a couple of hours at the beautiful city museum there. If you are ever near Hagerstown, make sure you spend a few hours there. We were so surprised at the variety and quality of the artwork there. About half of it was Civil War related and the other half is fine art. Gorgeous little gem, completely unexpected.
This sculpture is at the entrance to the museum ground.
Avard Fairbanks is a Mormon sculptor who has done work on temples.





After the museum, we went to a great restaurant for a wonderful seafood dinner. Tony was in heaven with the fresh oysters. Here is photographic evidence...




At the end of the night, Tony pulled me outside to see the SuperMoon!
The Moon is the top right light. Gorgeous!


3 comments:

  1. Me, me!! I've been to Hagerstown!! I'm originally from Middletown (right outside of Frederick) so the last few post have been familiar territory!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I especially liked the bit about the oysters. You know, once my Tomtom led me down a false path when I was trying to attend a different ward as well. It was very strange and somehow I figured that if I turned around and wend down the road in the other direction I might find the church. I did, about 1.5 miles away.

    Maybe it is a GPS conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hagerstonian? I think you made that up. I'm pretty sure it's Hagerstonite.

    ReplyDelete