Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hershey's Chocolate World

Last month, my mom came out for a long visit to Philadelphia! She was ostensibly here to help my sister with the kids while my brother-in-law, David, went down to Texas to take the bar. However, she ended up planning quite a long and fun trip in addition to that week of helping out. One of the days, they convinced me to go with them to Hershey, PA - about 2 hours away - and visit CHOCOLATE WORLD!! Did you ever suspect such a delicious place existed? Well... it does. Continue on to see more of our adventures!

Gigi, Bethany, and Madeline still recovering after an awesome 3-D movie about - yes, you guessed it - Chocolate!! The seats shook in the theater, it rained, it snowed, and we even felt things moving past our feet. Definitely a fun experience!

Gigi with a life-size Hershey Bar. Madeline was NOT happy to have to get close to this thing, so there were no pictures of her with oversized chocolate man.

Standing in line for the Trolley Experience that takes us all around the city of Hershey.

Running off some of that chocolate-powered steam before the trolley ride.

Ditto for older sis!

Here we are going into the trolley! It was fun. We took up the back row and had a fun time seeing the city, Hershey Park (the amusement park), and singing old timey songs like "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." Hershey is a pretty little city. Lots of innovations were thought up by old Mr. Hershey, and he and his wife started a school for orphaned boys because they could not have children of their own and they loved children. The school is still going and gets children a great start into life.

Me and Madeline enjoying a slidey ride on the backseat of the trolley.

The rest of the backseat riders!
One of the adventures we did was to create your own candy bar. We had to wear hairnets, aprons, and if you had fingernail polish (like I did) you had to wear gloves. Earrings also had to be tucked in. You could chose from 3 kinds of chocolate and 6 mixins. It was a fun time. Then you got to create your own candy bar wrapper! I made mine for Tony and it was yummy.

Well, all good things have to end. Here is the gang saying goodbye to Chocolate World...
... and here is Miss G saying goodbye to this post! (from her seat at Red Robin where we went for dinner - you have to eat SOMETHING besides chocolate once in a while!)

7 comments:

  1. So CUTE!!! And such FUN Memories! It was a lovely day. So happy we could all share it together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that your mom was able to stay for so long! I love Hershey's Chocolate World. I'm jealous you made your own candy bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great adventure. We really should do it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to go there when we lived in the East. Now I feel like I have! Looks like such a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the pics! What a fun trip. (I mean, how could it not be?...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fantasy come to life! Did they have a chocolate river? mmmmm.... sounds like you had fun! It is fun to see those little gals growing up so big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post! I went there as a kid and you helped bring back some great memories! And what cute little nieces you have. :) I'm glad that you can include pics of them, especially in the plastic hats. :)

    ReplyDelete