Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bare knees and bonnets

Here I am with my niece, Gigi, in her new "pioneer" bonnet at a Revolutionary War re-enactment in Ft. Washington, with members of a Scottish regiment. They looked awesome, and those are NOT kilts - they are definitely shorter. It was November, and it was COLD! Brrr... They took time to explain so many parts of their uniforms to us.

Tony, modeling the sleeping cap that we bought for my dad. You can see Hope Lodge in the background, where the re-enactment occurred.

Troops preparing to move out to the skirmish. They all looked so cool.

Bethany looking beautiful as she takes in the battle. You can see that Madeline was engrossed. The cannons definitely got all of our attention when they went off! (See Bethany's account of our day out here).

Tony and I in front of the fields where Washington fought for our country.

All the girls - Gigi and Madeline both found favorite sticks that they enjoyed walking around with. You don't know what Danger is until you are near a toddler with an unwieldy weapon!

We ran into Tony's cousin, Celeste, and her son, Donald. I love Celeste!!

And here is sweet Madeline bundled up against the cold. We all had such a great time that day!

7 comments:

  1. That photo of Madeline is adorable. I loved your title as well, very clever. It looks like a really fun thing to do (unless you were one of the guys freezing in shorts!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to post all 3 blogs yesterday! Every picture just melts my heart and fills my soul :-) I have a great deal of admiration for those strong men who continue to re-enact the battles fought so long ago in order that we, today, can be a free nation, under God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys are sure having fun. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post! I like Madeline's photo. Also, I thought the guy in the 1st photo had his tummy hanging out- just buttons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony looks awesome in that old school stocking hat too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love looking at your blog, Candy, it's so fun to see your life out there! What a fun adventure that was!

    ReplyDelete