Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ah Yes! I Remember it Well.

Our first day together - Temple Square

Tony and I met online years ago - in 2002 to be exact. We slowly became friends, and then more. Tony came to Utah to meet me in December 2005. I recently came across some pictures from that weekend and thought it would be fun to post them. It was a fun time. We felt instantly comfortable with each other and I'm oh, so grateful that Tony gathered up his courage to trek to Mormon Central (aka Utah) and meet me. He even met my mom and my sister that same trip! What a brave guy!

My Francis Ford Coppola look-alike - Little did he know what he was getting into!

Me with Joseph and Hyrum Smith statues. Tony was impressed by the Aaronic Priesthood Restoration statue that depicted the banks of the Susquehanna River. I don't think he expected to see that in Utah!

Awww... He's so cute!

We went to Temple Square to see the lights. The Tabernacle was undergoing renovations at that time, but we were able to listen to a beautiful Christmas choir in the Assembly Hall. I think Tony's favorite part (aside from finally being with me) was when a member of the high school choir announced that they needed everyone to silence their mobile phones as the concert was starting. He returned to his place in the choir, and as the choir director raised her arms to conduct, a cell phone rang. That same cute teenager, red-faced, reached in his pocket to turn off his phone. Everyone in the hall really had a good laugh over that incident. It was so peaceful to (finally) be with Tony and enjoy the Christmas spirit.

Tony in Provo Canyon below the frozen Bridal Veil Falls.

These ice climbers really impressed Tony!

I took Tony out to Bingham to see my great-great-grandfather's grave that we had redone the year before. We drove up to Sundance in Provo Canyon and stopped off to see the frozen Bridal Veil Falls. We had our first dinner out at PFChang's at University Mall. That is still one of Tony's favorite restaurants. We shopped at Baby Gap for a maternity Christmas present for Bethany (then pregnant with Gigi) and Tony made me blush by inferring that we were in the family way. I hastily denied it to the confused sales girl, and yet, as we walked out with our purchases she whispered to me, "Good luck!" *Sigh* Tony is still chuckling over that one!

Me in Provo Canyon.

After a few great days together, Tony had to leave and it was hard to see him go at the Salt Lake Airport. I may have shed a tear or two as we said goodbye and I saw him wend his way through the long security line. I stayed until I couldn't see him any longer. We were engaged within two weeks and the rest is history! What a crazy way to meet someone, but an awesome way to fall in love with a great friend. I'll be grateful for that weekend forever.

11 comments:

  1. Look what I found today!! I forgot you had a blog!! You two are so cute and I am so happy for you both! I love you tons my friend Canders and am glad you are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And doesn't it go by so incredibly fast!!!?? Thanks for sharing some of your dating moments with us! I loved the pictures, especially of you guys and the the Falls

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! When you know...you know! What great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story! I've really enjoyed following your blog over the last year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever heard the story of when you two first met in person. Thanks for sharing your cute story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so fun to read! I had heard the story, so it was great to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I wish I had that many pics from when I was dating my hubby - I don't know why we don't have many. You two are both so lucky to have found each other! You are both so wonderful! AND I didn't know you were coming to town so we will look forward to seeing you soon! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun. I could just see Tony doing that. How embarassing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved looking at those pictures again. What fun memories! I still remember how sweet Tony was to all of us. He gave mom and me poinsettas. He's a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy,
    Just found your blog. I enjoyed reading about you meeting your hubby. I married my sweetheart three months ago, and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete