My grandfather passed away peacefully on Sunday after a few months of being on dialysis because of kidney failure. I will miss him, but I'm also glad that he lived a long time, had many kids and grandkids, and a full life experience.
Grandpa absolutely loved to tell stories! He grew up in Lehi, Utah, and was the oldest of 4 rambunctious boys. He told of a time when he started stealing money from his mother's purse. She sat him down and instead of accusing him, she confided that they had a thief in the house! As he told it, he never took money from her again. He also was fond of telling a story of a time when he was at his cousin Davis's house and they were messing around with a shotgun (which they did not know was loaded). He had been pointing it around the room and at Davis, and it went off - luckily not when he was pointing it at his cousin! You may also be interested to know that Grandpa had a bunny when he was a boy. I will have to transcribe the story on that one. I know he got in trouble and his dad either killed and ate it or gave it away. No one ever laughed harder at Grandpa's stories than he did!
Grandpa's family later moved to Seattle, Washington. There he attended high school and left for his mission to Germany. He had to evacuate when the situation became too dangerous right before WWII. Back home in Washington he eventually met his future bride, Beverly. I wonder if Grandpa ever thought that they would have 10 children!
Grandpa and Grandma on their wedding day. Sorry the photo is so poor - it is a scan of a photo proof, not an actual photo. He looked so dapper and yet, dazed!Grandpa and Grandma moved to Chicago where he was in medical school at Northwestern. He was in the Navy as well. By the time they left Chicago I think they had two little kiddies, the first of which was my mom. Well, this is not meant to be a life history, I just wanted to post some pics of my grandpa in memoriam. I'll post his obituary when I get a copy. Here are some more shots of my handsome and charming Grandfather.
Grandpa (far left front row) sitting next to his parents with my Grandma on the far right. His brothers and their spouses are in the back row. (Early 1960s I think).
Grandpa is in the back. He took the family out to see my mom on her mission in NY/NJ. I believe that is the trailer they drove in. He LOVED road trips and loved traveling. He had the proverbial lead foot (which pretty much runs in the Brown genes!) It was really hard to convince Grandpa to stop driving in the last few years. He was always on the go. He almost always drove large boat-like cars. Maybe he figured that even if he couldn't see other people, they would definitely see him!
Grandpa/Santa holding grown-up Eph around 2001 (they both look just a little different, but both are just as cute!) Maybe you can see how Grandpa is holding his jaw slightly to the side in a little grimace? My mom totally inherited that. She actually has more of his mannerisms now that she is a little older than she did in the past. She definitely takes after his side of the family from what I can tell (in all the good ways!)Grandpa was always pretty good at coming to our activities such as recitals, graduations, parties, etc., even though Grandpa wasn't always so keen on little kids as much as adults. I think his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren remained important to him even if he didn't always express his love in the way that we could see it clearly. I remember feeling that he finally saw me as an interesting individual when I got my mission call, instead of just another grandkid.
Grandpa at our wedding - 2006(l-r: Uncle Steve, Mom, Grandpa, Me, Tony, Aunt Kathy)
I've been lucky enough in the last couple of years to spend some good time with Grandpa as he has been staying at my parents' house a couple of times when I was visiting. He would read all day long, rarely seeming to fall asleep over his book. One time I was playing some hymns on the piano and he started singing along and we sang hymns together for about 30 minutes. That is a cherished memory. I appreciated this man as my grandfather and respect that he tried to pass along his belief in the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Family was important to him in his way I think, and most of all I'm grateful to Grandpa that he had my mom who is the greatest gift he could have given me!
Grandpa was known to watch a little Lawrence Welk in his day, so in honor of him I share this little clip (just the first 60 seconds). I love you, Grandpa! You will be missed.
Good night, good night, until we meet again
Adios, au revoir, auf wedersehen 'til then
And though it's always sweet sorrow to part
You know you'll always remain in my heart!
Good night, sleep tight and pleasant dreams to you
Here's a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true
And now 'til we meet again
Adios, au revoir, auf weidersehen.....Good Night!
Grandpa was known to watch a little Lawrence Welk in his day, so in honor of him I share this little clip (just the first 60 seconds). I love you, Grandpa! You will be missed.
Good night, good night, until we meet again
Adios, au revoir, auf wedersehen 'til then
And though it's always sweet sorrow to part
You know you'll always remain in my heart!
Good night, sleep tight and pleasant dreams to you
Here's a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true
And now 'til we meet again
Adios, au revoir, auf weidersehen.....Good Night!






Thank you so much, Candy, for sharing those memories of Grandpa Brown. I only met him a few times, so it's nice to hear more about what he was like.
ReplyDeleteCandy, I love your blogs! I hadn't even seen your 3 or so most recent ones. Thank you for the reminder to check it out! You have special pictures of Grandpa and shared some of his high points. See you TOMORROW!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing this. It is always fun to see pictures. And without even guessing, I could tell that the picture of the baby girl was your mom! Same face, just infantized! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI was sorry to hear about your grandpa from EphAmy but I'm glad you posted these memories as I don't recall meeting him. That picture of Eph on his lap (#2) is hilarious!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet tribute to your grandpa! Would you like me to scan and email the obit instead of waiting a couple of weeks for the original? I'd be happy to. :)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss Candy. What a neat man your Grandpa is. I'm glad you were able to have so many memories with him and I love all the pictures. -Jen
ReplyDelete