Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Retro: Black Friday 2007 by Tony

Since I have been living a fantastic - and altogether too busy - life for a few months (without much recording here on the blog) I thought I would introduce anything that happened a while ago with the word "Retro" just because it's a cool word.

This post features a great letter written by Tony about his first Black Friday shopping experience this year. Enjoy!
Tony - the star of the new $5 bill at the Constitution Center

11.24.07 - Alex and Katie Bess were with us from late Tuesday until this morning and were charming and great house guests. They raked all my leaves and helped me to carry a closet into the basement. I made a huge Italian dinner for yesterday and they took lots of leftovers home for themselves and the other two families of in-laws that live in Illinois. Thanksgiving dinner was a small intimate gathering of twenty-seven people at Rita's (Tony's cousin).

For years I have always been sarcastic and cynical, hard to believe, about the boobs who go out to these four, five and six A.M. Black Friday sales. Even when I work that day (no more) it amazes me. This year I was reading the tome that arrived disguised as the Thanksgiving edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Among the massive missives were some that caught my eye, Best Buy, Circuit City, Gerhards, Lowe's, Target and..Home Depot. There on the front page were their six AM friday specials "while supplies last" meaning that there are six in each store. Some were really great buys especially the Ryobi 18 volt drills and the reciprocating saws, etc. that I already have or really do not need. But, wow, in the middle of the front page was a tool storage unit with a rolling cabinet and a chest of drawers atop for only $59.99.

Similar to Tony's - but his is red!

Now Sydney, my wife, can attest that I have been looking for one to put in the basement to help control clutter but I have been unwilling to spend what is being asked. Then, wow again, one of those multi- position folding ladders that contort themselves into many different angles and uses. $89.00. I have wanted one for a long time thinking I could have an extension ladder that can fold up and be stored inside the house but again reluctant because of price, but $89.00....


I left the house friday at 5:20 AM. Traffic was brisk. Dunkin' Donuts had activity. There were perhaps 15-20 cars in the parking lot at Home Depot. I stayed in the car, drinking my coffee and eating my donuts wishing I had bought the newspaper. At 5:55 AM we all got out of our cars, the quantity of which has swelled to about 50. I was sixth in line. I commented loudly, "I used to laugh at everyone who did this, now I are one" There was a knowing murmur. One woman stated that all she was there for one item and her Christmas shopping was finished. She started at the 4 AM stores. Not bad getting all your Christmas shopping done in a little over two hours at perhaps great savings. Another guy said there were hundreds camped out at Best Buy since Wednesday for the $200.00 lap tops and Circuit City's parking lot was mobbed too. Our doors opened and we walked in like ladies and gentlemen, like human beings. No mad rush, nothing like in the movies or on TV. A nice associate showed me the tool cases and carried it to the far register while I went to the ladders. The cashier got me a flat bed and completed my sale. I saw the woman who said she had one more gift paying for her $59.99 mitre saw and we left together. I asked what she was doing now and she said that she was going to bed. I was on the road for 6:07 AM, passed the Best Buy and stopped in shock and awe. The whole Best Buy parking lot was full out to Easton Road along with the Pier 1 import lot (they were not open). Cars were circling looking for parking spaces and the line of cars trying to get into the lot was backed up onto the road!?? Same thing at Circuit City! I went home, got back in bed with my love and did not unload the car until later in the day. I was out of the house for exactly one hour. I have succumbed to the dark side. But I got what I wanted for a total of about $350.00 in savings. Wow. I think.

1 comment:

  1. I love Tony's letter - it is fun to say massive missive :-) Here's a great idea - Tony could hire out to get great bargains for other people in his early morning forays! That would make it a double bargain! Minnie

    ReplyDelete